21 February 2010

Red Velvet Berry Cake


















*********************************************
Red velvet cakes are a type of chocolate cake that originated from the South and is very popular in the States for big events like weddings and Christmas parties, but less so here. Apart from the Food for Thought cafe, I really don't know of any other place that serves red velvet cake. And so ... I thought it'd be fun if I made one myself! Since berries are in season and going cheap (relatively) at the supermarkets, I decided to do update the traditional version with berries. Looks-wise this is a very satisfying cake to make, as the contrast between the dark red cake and the white frosting lends itself naturally to a visually stunning result. The cake has a moist and tender crumb, and its delicate sweet chocolate flavour goes nicely with the berries.

********

********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails