06 September 2010

Mango and Mixed Berries Coconut Crumble

*********************************
Which way do you crumble?

I know folks who like it plain.  Just the usual butter, flour, sugar (maybe brown sugar) and a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg.  But I never did like basic.

I like to add oats (what a good way to fill up on more of that artery de-clogger, I say), and sometimes, toasted almonds (extra crunch!).

But my favourite crumble of all time, has got to be a coconutty crumble. It's just a little bit unexpected.  A special touch that makes me (and hopefully my guests) feel like my homely crumble was actually something I honestly wanted to make.  And not just a rescue plan for my fruits in distress.

Do you know that coconut goes amazingly well with mangoes?   

The berries were great too, although I will confess that they were in there because, well, they needed rescuing.  But c'mon, check out that beautiful purply burst-berried rim in the photo above, they baked up so pretty! Blueberries + Raspberries = Purple Juices!!! And they tasted brilliant too, honest.

But if you are not dictated by the fruits in your fridge (like I frequently am) I urge you to go ahead and make a Banana and Mango Crumble. THAT, I know, would be totally phenomenal with the coconut topping.



Mixed Fruit Coconut Crumble


Ingredients


For topping:
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon1/2 tsp nutmeg or allspice
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup (226g) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

For filling
Fruits of your choice (enough to fill a 13x9x2 pyrex glass baking dish) (drain/dry fruits if wet).
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method
Mix oats, brown sugar, flour, salt and spices evenly in bowl. Add chilled butter and rub in with fingertips until topping comes together in moist clumps.  Add in flaked coconut and almonds and mix together until it all clumpts together a bit. (The topping can be made 1 day ahead and kept in the fridge)

Preheat oven to 190C.  Grease a 13x9x2 pyrex glass baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.

Toss together filling ingredients and transfer to baking dish.

Sprinkle topping evenly over the filling.

Bake until topping is brown and crisp, about 55 minutes.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

(Crumble is best eaten on the day itself!! I find that the fruits will make the topping soggy if left overnight. So dig in right away!)

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails